North Challenge Route (Arima to Port of Spain)
The North Challenge Walk will take place on Saturday 09 March 2013. It is from Arima to Port of Spain (approx. 25Km) and consists of 4 legs.
The Arima Velodrome will serve as the Assembly Area and registration point. The forming up point will be the PTSC Terminal, Arima.
- Arima (Arima Velodrome) – Tacarigua (Eddie Hart Ground)
- Tacarigua– Mt. Hope (Opposite the Ministry of Works Mechanical Services Division)
- Mt. Hope – Laventille (Angostura Car Park)
- Laventille – Port of Spain(Woodford Square)
South Challenge Route (Couva to San Fernando)
The South Challenge Walk will take place on Saturday 16 March 2013. It is from California, Couva to San Fernando (approx. 20Km) and consists of three (3) legs.
Gilbert Park, Point Lisas Industrial Estate will serve as the Assembly Area and registration point. The walk will end at National Academy for Performing Arts (NAPA), San Fernando, with an exhibition fair and entertainment.
- Couva (Gilbert Park) – Pranz Village (Pranz Village Recreational Grounds)
- Pranz Village – Marabella (Tropical Plaza Mall)
- Marabella – San Fernando (National Academy for the Performing Arts [NAPA] South)
- Teams registering for the challenge must consist of 15 persons with no less than 10 persons walking at any given time.
- Groups or individuals can choose to register to only walk any of the legs.
- Those groups or individuals wishing to be part of the final leg would be shuttled to Laventille (North) and Topical Plaza (South) on completion of their leg. For example, if a group/individual registered to walk from Arima to Tacarigua having completed that leg wishes to be part of the final leg to Woodford Square they will be shuttled to Laventille only.
- In order to complete the challenge participants must have walked all the legs i.e. Arima – Tacarigua – Mt. Hope – Laventille – Port of Spain (North) or Couva – Pranz Village – Marabella – San Fernando (South)
- Exciting giveaways will be distributed to registered persons/teams at the end of the walk.
- Registered teams completing the challenge will receive $5,000.00 towards funding an HIV/AIDS community or organisation project to be approved by the Secretariat of the Interim National HIV/Aids Agency (INHAA). Proposals must be submitted by April 30, 2013 for consideration and approval by the INHAA. Failure to submit a proposal by the deadline would result in the forfeiture of the funding. No extensions would be allowed. Projects must be completed within 6 months.
We are inviting the public to participate in this worthy cause by either registering teams of 15 persons to complete one or both of the Challenges (North and South) or joining with the walk at any of the assembly points along the route. You can choose to participate in one or both of these walks.
Team registration ends Thursday 7th March, 2013 (North) and Thursday 14th March, 2013 (South).
Individual registration will be available from 5:00 am for each walk.
The most important item you need is a good pair of walking shoes. Shoes should fit comfortably; have a flexible sole and plenty of toe room.
As important as what shoes to wear is your choice of socks. Be sure to wear the socks you will walk in when trying on shoes.
Wear what is comfortable for you. Also be sure to dress for the weather. Add a hat, sun screen and sunglasses on a sunny day.
Please be sure to drink plenty of water. Be sure to drink every 20 minutes. There are many convenient water carriers - from waist packs to shoulder carriers. Choose what works best for you. Take water from the water stands along the walk as needed.
For more information please call Amanda Francis at 623-2441 Ext. 12271 or email at firstname.lastname@example.orgGO TO TOP